Sunday 22 November 2009

Roy Bridge/Plockton, September 12-19, 2009.

Sept 12:Left home at 10.00 am, a bit too late. Stopped off at Cotswold in Droitwitch to buy some walking poles and straps for my glasses. Then I carried on the journey north, got stuck in some awful traffic on the M5 & M6, for about 100 miles in one jam after another. Eventually crossed the border at about 6, one of the latest ever. A brief stop at Hamilton, then on to Pitlochry, at about 8.40, where I had to stop for food. I was dismayed to see the chip shop had already closed. It shut at 8.30, unbelievable especially as it had been the Highland Games in the town that day. I found another shop which was open & packed. I then went on to DPs place, which I reached at about 9.30, and had a welcome coffee. I only stayed for half an hour, as it was so late. I then carried on and reached Roy Bridge at 11. Far too late.

Sept 13: Arrived at Torebane at 11am, and briefly chatted to a woman who asked me if this was the right to place for Gulvain. I assured her it was. I made for Gulvain’s SW ridge, and was caught up by the woman from the car park, Lena. What a talker - it was non stop. Fortunately we parted company fairly soon. I slogged up the SW ridge which took me 3 hours. I met Mrs Talkative at the South summit, she had ascended via a different route and we went on to the main summit together which we reached at 4. We dropped off to the South, very steep ground, and rejoined the outward path at about 7. I took a diplomatic pit stop to give my ears a rest and then got back to the car at 8 in daylight. Back to Roy Bridge and another late night.

Sept 14: Due at Plockton tonight, so I decided to drive straight there and do a hill there. Arrived at about 12.30, unpacked and had some lunch, then drove to Applecross and decided to do Sgurr a Charoachain. I parked at the bridge over the Russell burn, and while I was parked a chap parked his shiny new car with a shiny girlfriend in it, and took some photos and then was off, after about 2 minutes. I trogged off up the Glen and was surprised to see how much the area had changed since my last visit to the Cioch Nose with Smudge and the Captain. I left the car at 3pm, and reached the summit at 6pm, in perfect weather. I descended to the east down some steep ground, then back to the car at 7.40 and back to Plockton.

Sept 15: Drove to Strathcarron, started up the path from Achintee, on the path to Bearnais, & Lurg Mhor, but turned round after 2 hours. I felt totally knackered the result of too many late nights. Back to the car at 1.30, then to Plockton. Passed out for a while, then did some shopping in the village, Richard and Barry arrived about 6, looking totally knackered after a day on Seana Bhraigh. We went out for a meal in Plockton, which was packed.

Sept 16: Left early, drove along the single track roads for the last time. Met a bus, then the dustbin lorry then another bus, amazing. Somehow managed to scrape past all of them. Arrived Attadale just before 9, rang the estate office no stalking taking place, so set off at 9.00. I arrived at Beinn Dronaig Bothy, after a fair amount of faffing. I used the facilities although that meant refilling the bucket and water bottle. I had some lunch there too. I then set off at 1.10 for the long drag up to Sheasgaich. Reached the summit at 3.30, in fabulous weather, superb view of the whole length of Loch Morar. I then set of for Lurg Mor, and reached the summit at 4.30. I dropped down the South side to Loch Calavie, reached the bothy at 6.45. I had a brief stop, but did not go in this time. Then carried on the long drag back to Attadale, a brief look for the path back to Achintee which I could not find. I then carried on to Attadale, which I reached at 9.45, back to Plockton at 10.30. I went in to the dining room where 4 people were still eating, a brief chat with Richard and Barry who were leaving very early the next morning. I decided not to go with them as I was feeling totally knackered. I then went back in to the Dining Room which was now empty. No doubt the group eating when I arrived had left because I looked a bit like the wild man of Borneo.

Sept 17: Richard and Barry left early, I was away a bit later, at about 9. I drove to Shiel Bridge and arrived there just after 11.00. I headed for a Corbett, Sgurr Mhic Bharrain. I set off at 11.30, moving quite slowly as I was still knackered after yesterday. I reached the summit at 3.00 and was back at the car at 4.45. I did a little bit of shopping and then drove on to Roy Bridge and met Richard and Barry at 6.15.

Sept 18. Up at 6.15, and left at 7.30, chatted to Richard, drove to Strathan, met a camper van on the Loch Arkaig Road, fortunately no more cars. Arrived at the road end just before 9 a bit of faffing while reading the notices re stalking, made up my sandwiches for the day and set off at 9.10. I was passed by a party of stalkers and we had a brief chat and found out where the stalking was taking place. Quite a relief that I was not going to be shot that day. I left the forest path, then went on to the footpath which was very boggy in parts, in one place I went up to my knees in bog at one point. I had my lunch just before the path branched off to Sgurr Na Ciche. I then pressed on over fairly easy ground and then avoided a nasty looking gully by going on the main ridge which led up from Sourlies bothy. The going became very steep and it became much colder. I put on a few more layers on plus gloves. The weather was definitely changing. I reached the summit of Na Ciche at 4.15, a huge effort. Fortunately, the next top Garbh Chioch Mhor was much closer, down to the bealach and up the other side. I was on the summit at 5. Then on to the last top, Sgurr nan Coireachan, the lowest top of the day, which I reached at 6.50. Short stop, then down the long south ridge, to rejoin my outward route. A bit of a scramble to get down before it started to go dark, which I just managed. I than had a drinks stop, and removed a few layers of clothing as it was much warmer than on the tops. Then the long walk back to Strathan, a beautiful night, the stars were so clear and plentiful. I passed a couple coming out for the week end, quite ghostly, as I could see their torch and reflective patches on their clothing from quite a long way off. I eventually reached the car at 10.05, quite a few more cars parked there since this morning, presumably week enders. I then prepared for the most worrying part of the day, the hideous drive along the north side of Loch Arkaig. Fortunately I met no vehicles coming in the opposite direction. I passed the rather strange settlements on the north side of the loch, a few fires were burning no doubt barbecuing the body of a hapless walker. I eventually reached Roy Bridge at 11.30. A long day, but now all the big Munros had been done and in good weather too.

Sept 19: A very late night-got to bed at about 1.00 am, so not feeling very lively, and not looking forward to the long drive home. Two stops to catch up on some sleep, and then a stop in Stirling to write some postcards, there, the secret is out! Then onwards South, had a ghastly fast food meal at about 5 at Keele Services. Absolutely revolting. The last stretch on the M40 was particularly testing, and I was driving extremely slowly, finally made it home at 11.45. A marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment