Monday 23 November 2009

Boat of Garten/Invergarry, October 25-31, 2009.

Oct 25: Drove up on Sunday as too knackered to drive on Saturday. Left home at 9.30, crossed border at 4.15, and I arrived at Boat of Garten at 9.00 pm.

Oct 26: Left Glenmore Lodge at 9.25, then took the Lairig an Laoigh towards the Ford of Avon. After dropping towards Glasath, I met 2 people pushing bikes coming from the opposite direction. Told them I thought they were mad, decided not to tell them I had huge difficulty crossing the last stream, and that they were going very wet feet. Serve them right. Carried onto the Fords of Avon Refuge which I reached at 1.30, and had lunch there (outside) as it was so dark inside as usual, boulders on every wall blocked all the light. It was in good condition, with a foam mat on the floor, 2 books, matches, and some rubbish which I removed.  There was huge amount of water in the streams-the Avon was quite impossible to cross at the Ford or at the outflow of the loch. After lunch I headed up towards the Saddle, then headed down Strath Nethy, which was very rough and quite slow going. I reached the junction of the path to Ryvoan at about 5.30, stopped for food and put on the head torch, back to Glenmore Lodge at 6.20.

Oct 27: Drove towards Dorback Lodge, with the intention of climbing Geal Charn. I parked at Balintium, who had very considerately provided a parking space, then headed for the Dorback Burn which I crossed with great difficulty. Soon I heard voices on the path ahead, and got rather concerned that I was about to be shot by a deerstalking party - fortunately, it was a group of estate workers doing some maintenance work. I then skirted Eag Mor, then followed the track South East to its end. Then crossed some incredibly rough ground - heather, peat hags, ascended the summit from the SW, crossed a fence (!) and reached the top at 2.30. I descended the by the N ridge, then got on to the path above Allt Mor, back to car at 4.30, in daylight. A nice contrast to yesterday.

Oct 28: Drove to Coylumbridge, my plan was to walk down Glen Einich, then go on to the Braeriach plateau, then drop down into An Garbh Choire. Not my best idea with hindsight. Set off at 9.10, and headed down the Glen, and at 12 headed toward the plateau. A long drag up, in increasingly dreary and dreich weather. Stopped for lunch in the drizzle. Carried on upwards after lunch, going increasingly more slowly, decided to abandon at about 1000m, headed towards Loch Coire a Lochan, spectacular situation, then descended via Beanaidh Bheag, the descent took a gratifyingly long time. I reached Glen Einich at about 5, then started the long walk back to the car, reached Coylumbridge, after the all important toilet break, at 6.45.

October 29: A beautiful morning. Drove to Blairnamarrow just beyond Tomintoul. Set off at 11.00, but the clouds soon rolled in with a cold wind, so put some more layers on. I had lunch just below the summit of Carn Ealasaid, reached the top in clear air, then headed for Beinn A Chruinn, at the top of the Lecht ski runs. I headed back to the car which I reached at 3.45, then went to The Lecht for a coffee, which was almost totally deserted. Returned via Tomintoul & Grantown.

October 30: Left Boat of Garten at 9.00, bound for Gairich, went via Inverness & Invergarry to Glen Kingie in dry weather. Arrived at the dam at 11 and it started to rain-hard. Seriously contemplated finding a Corbett but none were close enough. Fortunately the rain relented so got ready to leave, set off at 11.30, much too late for this time of year. After a few minutes, it started to rain again so put on all the waterproofs. I stopped for lunch at 1.30, but made the stop brief as I got cold quickly in the damp weather. I stopped again for more food just below the summit and reached the summit at 3.40 in the cloud. I decided to return via the ascent route. It became dark at 5, and managed to lose the path. I saw the ridge line in the gloom and got back on the right track. I picked up the path through the forest, and then headed over the bog to the dam. I got slightly sidetracked and went on the shore of the loch, cunningly, but unintentionally, avoiding the worst of the sodden ground. I was relieved to see the dam appear out of the dark, I crossed it and reached the car at 7.15. A great relief. I drove through torrential rain out of the Glen, then had a very disappointing meal at the Invergarry Hotel, I should have eaten my own remaining food. We live and learn. In spite of this, a really good day, a case of overcoming the elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment