Sunday 22 November 2009

Glen Carron/Invergarry, May 16-25, 2009.

May 16:Received a text message from Ian the previous evening, saying he would not be coming. A very late start ensued, not helped by a shopping stop before getting on the road. Fortunately there was very little traffic on the road and no jams. I stopped at Bankfoot just north of Perth, and spent the night at Aviemore Youth hostel. The place was looking quite shabby, no investment in the fabric of the building.


May 17: Left about 8.30, drove straight to Inverlael, after refuelling in Aviemore, arrived at Inverlael at about 10.20. Set off about 20 minutes later, feeling that this was rather late for such a big day. Fortunately there was an excellent path for half the way, and had lunch when it came to an end. Then over some quite complex ground, descending to the col, and then ascended to the South summit and reached the main summit at 3.30. Left the main summit at 3.45, and got back to the car at 7.30, just one other car left in the car park when I got back. I stopped at the Aultguish for an excellent evening meal, & then on to the Ledgowan Lodge Bunkhouse which was to be my home for the rest of the week.

May 18: Drove to Craig and left the car park at 9.45, again a bit late for such a big mountain, dawdled on the excellent path and did not reach Glenuaig until 12.45. As it then started to rain and there was a shelter next to the cottage, I had an early lunch. I then headed down to the stream and started the long drag up to the summit. I passed quite a few people coming down, in increasingly wet weather. The last section from the col below the final pull to the summit was in constant rain. I thought of returning by Carn nan Fiaclan, but decided against as time was pressing, so returned by the route of ascent, back to Glenuaig by 6.20. Decided to put the foot down, back to Craig within 2 hours in constant rain, which brought on a severe grump and a late meal.

May 19: Beautiful day, headed for Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a Chaorachain. To Craig again, a bit earlier this time, left at 9.45, and got to the wire bridge at 10.40. A bit of faffing to find the path leading to the bealach. Soon realised the reason why-I had crossed by a bridge not marked on the OS map which was about 400 metres north of the bridge I should have crossed by….. or should I? I then took the excellent path to the bealach, where I had lunch in a rather chilly wind at about 12.50. Then I pushed on to Choinnich, which I reached after a succession of false summits at 2.30, then on to Chaorachain, which I reached an hour later. I played with the idea of going on to Beinn an Eoin Dearg which looked magnificent, but headed straight down off the summit to the glen where the river was little more than a trickle so no tricky river crossing. Back to Craig at 7.00 after walking down the track in superb sunshine. Alas there was to be little more of this….

May 20: Decided to head for Beinn Eighe and Speidean nan Clach, re acquainting myself with the mountain which I had last visited with Ian 17 years earlier. I stopped off in Kinlochewe to do some shopping & met Tom Forrest who I stayed with in January. We had a chat and I then head off to left the ling Hut Car Park which I left at 10.00 in unpromising conditions. I reached Loch Choire Mhic Fhearcair at about 12.15. I found a pretty chilly lunch stop at the head of the loch, but did not linger. I then headed for the ascent up the scree slope to the summit plateau, with the clouds quite low. I pressed on to Spidean which to my delight was clear, making sure I went to the proper summit, which I reached at 4. I then plunged down the scree slopes, but the wrist loop of my one of my pole was flapping uselessly-the screw holding it in had come adrift. Carried on after doing a minor repair, and reached the car park after getting on to the ascent path after crossing the burn.

May 21: Rest Day. Drove to Gairloch, Poolewe, attempted to go on a boat trip from Gairloch, they would not go out, too windy. Stopped of at what had been the Loch Maree Hotel, investigated a bat trip to other side f loch.

May 22. Last day in bunkhouse. Packed everything up and left at 7.30, set off from Craig at 7.55.started raining at 8.30, and carried on and on….Crossed stream by “correct” bridge. It was awful, ropes sagging like an old washing line, swaying all over the place. Made one attempt, went back, tried again, and then managed to put my boot in the stream about ¾ of the way across after performing ridiculous contortions to stay upright. I joined the path to the bealach and soon every bit of clothing was sodden, I made it up to the base of Tharsuinn, and then decided the whole episode was futile and retreated. I met the couple from the bunkhouse on the way down, got to the stream and had lunch. Mercifully it had stopped raining. I felt warm for the first time that day. I crossed stream by the other bridge about 20 minutes downstream, much better. I ambled my way back to the Craig, and arrived there at 4.15. Drove back to Achnasheen spent that night in the hotel, bliss, luxury, warmth, dried my clothes in their drying room.

May 23: Left the Ledgowan Hotel just after 9, drove to Glen Quoich, and a long drive along the Glen. Started off at 12.30, it started raining after about an hour, and got to the top in awful weather, decided to descend by the corrie to the North of the mountain. Went too far to the West, so had to ascend some ground before reaching the bealach. Then started the long descent to the River Quoich, I got to the confluence with the river, water on 2 sides, nowhere to cross. The OS had printed a path crossing the Allt Coire a Chaorrain about 400 metres from the confluence. Quite impossible to cross with the river in spate. I had to walk quite a long way back up the stream abut fortunately found somewhere and then headed down the opposite bank. After that no more drama, back to the car at 7.30, Invergarry at 8.30.

May 24: Last day on the hills. Back along Glen Quoich, but not so far as yesterday. Left the car at 10.00, stopped at 11.30 for a bite, then put on the waterproof clothing, yet more rain. I was passed by one couple who I met again on the summit of Gleouraich. We had a longish chat; they decided to go back, a sensible decision. I stupidly carried on to Spidean Mialach, could not see a thing, arrived at the top of Spidean. Took a compass bearing then copuld not get my gloves back on as they and my hands were so wet. I started the descent, which became more and more squelchier, one tricky river crossing though nothing like as bad as yesterday’s. Back to the car at 4.45, had some food, and changed my clothes. Then started the long drive to Dave’s house, got there at about 7. Went for a walk with Dave and his dog Shady, who we very nearly lost, in fact I had given him up. He had been rooting round for rabbits. Back to DP’s house, bliss to be in a warm house and a comfortable bed.

May 25: Left DP’s house at about 9 in the cold and wet, but stopped in Stirling and it must have been at least 10 degrees warmer. Summer had arrived! Then went on the long drive South got back to Maidenbower after 9, in the rain again! A good week, but a wet one.

No comments:

Post a Comment