Sunday 22 November 2009

Kinlochewe January 10-17, 2009.

Jan 10: Left home at 8.30, no jams on the drive, one advantage of going North in January. I stopped in Aviemore for an evening meal, wishing that I was staying there, as I was nearly at the end of my tether, but staggered on to Inverness, and stayed at Inverness Youth Hostel, not a good venue. In fact it bought out a strong attack of grumpiness. I filled out to their comments card with a long list. No doubt they will file it in the bin.


Jan 11: Drove on to Kinlochewe, then to Diabaig in pretty poor weather. Mark decided to stay in Diabaig and look around the village, while I walked to Craig, formerly a YH now a bothy, met a rather odd character, possibly a professional bothier. As I prepared to leave, I opened the door of the bothy and a blast of warm air hit me. Very strange. I went back in very warm weather, back to the car at about 3.30, drove over a rather hairy road, fortunately in the daylight (just) to Kinlochewe and our B&B.

Jan 12: Again, not a very nice day, but up for breakfast at 8, in the dark, and drove to Achnasheen. I set off for Fionn Bheinn in rather nasty weather - damp, and windy. I left the car at 9.15, and successfully found the ridge, no snow and then mad for the summit in misty, wet conditions reached the top at about12.30. I descended by the East Ridge and then headed south after negotiating one fence and one gate. Walked back to the car along the road, a good day, back at the car at about 3.40.

Jan 13: Mark’s last day, I decided on Slioch and he did a hill just to the SE. We left Incheril at 9.30 and walked together for bout half an hour before parting. I then carried on to the bridge over the river, and then made for the lowest point on the skyline and into Coire na Sleaghaich. I then pulled up steep ground to the North of the lochans, and then reached a false summit with a cairn, no sign of a trig and then the clouds cleared and saw some rather steep ground ahead. Fortunately it was a short pull and reached the South top soon after. I then carried on to the North top after a short fall and rise which I reached at 1.30. I turned round and returned by the route of ascent, stopped for some lunch at the head of the corrie, and carried on in a snow fall to the bridge over the stream. I carried on over various streams and managed to fall over while crossing one and gave myself a clip behind the ear courtesy of a strategically placed rock. I made it to the car park at about 4.45, just as the light was going. Quick change and then took Mark to the station, and he had the train to himself.

Jan 14: Good forecast, headed over to Beinn Alligin, set off at about 9.45 from the car park beyond Torridon House. Beautiful morning, the tops in full view for a change. I followed the stream into the heart of the corrie, and met someone coming down. I had a brief chat - he had come over from Inverness that morning and had to get back to go to work in the afternoon. I carried on to the summit which I reached at about 12.40, quite surprised to be there so early. I set off for the col between the 2 summits, but had a bit of faffing to get off the summit block, one blind alley and then had to back track. I was faced with an easy looking descent which was horribly exposed, with a short cut to the floor of the corrie about 2000 feet below. Not surprisingly. I decided on a different route. I then stopped at the col for a bit of lunch, but only stopped very briefly as it was extremely cold. I carried on to Sgurr Mhor, but stopped as my hands were getting very cold. I put on my warmest pair of gloves and felt much better. I made it to the top at 2.30. I then started to think it might have been better to have started a little bit earlier, as I had only 2 hours of daylight to get over the Horns of Alligin, and did not know a) how many there were and b) how difficult the terrain was. I descended rapidly to the foot of the first Horn, and started to ascend as quickly as possible. It was very straightforward at first and then a few unorthodox moves followed, knees played a large part. I ended up on one ledge, like a fish landed on a river bank. I made it to the top, then down and up to the next horn was straightforward and less of a rise and fall. I now took off some clothing and put on a thinner pair of gloves. I descend to the foot of the third and last horn and decided to skirt the top as time was pressing, and was relieved to see easy ground ahead. I attempted a descent to the East, as Tom in the B&B had suggested, but decided to carry on due South. I soon picked up the main path, and reached the bridge over the stream at about 5 and had a second lunch, and took off some layers. I then carried on the car park which I reached at about 5.40. A great day.

Jan 15: Strong winds forecast, so I decided to keep low. The first time since Sunday when I had not taken the crampons which I had not used at all. I drove to the Ling Hut car park and then headed to Corrie Mhic Fhearcair. At times the wind was very strong, and it was a real struggle to make progress. Just as well I was not on the tops. I made it into the corrie and had a look at the amazing Triple Buttress. I contoured round the foot of Ruadh Stac Mor, looking for a possible alternative route up the mountain on my next visit. After a spot of lunch, I headed east and was pleased to pick up a path almost immediately, which unfortunately disappeared from time to time. After about 2 hours I picked up the main path, and started the long descent into Kinlochewe. I got back to the house just after it had got dark. Tom very kindly gave me a lift to the car park where I picked up the car.

Jan 16/17: The weather forecast was for more of the same, so I decided to head South. A brief stop in Aviemore to write and post some cards and I spent the night in Arnside, after receiving the terrible news about Steve Dale. I left early the next day, and got home at about 4.30. A great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment